21 July 2010

The Vine That Ate the South

Yes, KUDZU.  

Kudzilla? 

I blogged about it on the Visit Mississippi travel blog in November and low and behold, it Kudzu ain't meeting its match in Hernando.

It's really true.  Goats.  Right outside of town on Highway 304 are the "Kudzu Removal Project" and the "Kudzu Control Demonstrations."  
We didn't see any goats out there grazing but I have before.  In one section, you could tell the goats made quick work of the Kudzu.

Daddy didn't stop, though.  He was on a mission to get us to The Blue & White in Tunica.
It's been a while since I've eaten at the Blue & White.  Over the past few months when I call my parents, Mama has mentioned that she and Daddy drove over to eat.  I kept seeing green...so when W & I were in town about a week ago, a special request was submitted for Sunday lunch at the Blue & White.  

Here's a look at the buffet - it's home cooking at its best.
Fried chicken, roast beef, chicken & dressing
Broccoli & cheese, yams, greens, fried green tomatoes, Brussel sprouts, lima beans and corn.
Yum, Yum.  This is my dad as he patiently waits to eat so I can take a picture.   
(Remember my trip to Ocean Springs?  
My friend Kathryn was not nearly as patient with me...but we were pretty hungry!)
I've had major cravings for fried chicken and yams.  And greens.  The rest is, as they say, gravy.

Their homemade yeast rolls are the best!
On our table was an advertisement for this double decker donut tower.  Sounds like a heart attack explosion on a plate to me (but would be worth it to try a bite).
And here's my sweet tea with the Blue & White story in the background.  The restaurant has been open since 1937.  As you can see in it was an old gas station that eventually just morphed into a restaurant.
A look at part of the restaurant.  It's so kitschy on the inside, which is what makes it such a great stop - and the food is delicious.  You can either get the buffet or order off the menu.  They are open for breakfast and lunch.  Either way, you'll be happy.  


Oh!  And I almost forgot:  Peach Cobbler for Dessert.  Phew.
The Blue & White Restaurant
1355 U.S. 61
Tunica, MS 38676
(662) 363-1371

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...