19 May 2010

Taqueria Guanajuato

There are so many high-quality taquerias popping up in the area.  I'm such a fool for Mexican and when a good friend of mine came into town about a month ago, we suggested Taqueria Guanajuato instead of a more run-of-the-mill restaurant option.

My friend, Carpe Jackson, wrote about the taqueria in April on her blog and since that time, more of my friends have tried it - and come back raving!

We had a great time catching up and the food was delicious.  They brought out chips and salsa for us to munch while we waited for our dinner.

One of my favorite parts was going to the refrigerator section at the back of the restaurant and picking out drinks.  Walter got a strawberry soft drink and I got a coconut one. 
The coconut was good but a little strange because it was half liquid, half congealed coconut.   Odd, but fun.
Husband and friend both got a chorizo torta which they both devoured! (the picture is blurry because hungry people told me to make it snappy)
I got the Carpe-recommended pork and pineapple tacos, which were really good.
The tacos came with lots of goodies to enhance the flavor, yet no cactus came out like I'd heard other people talk about.  So, that was a little disappointing but it did not mar my Mexican eating experience!
We also ordered the posole, which can best be described as musty-tasting.  It had a strong taste of charcoal or something.  There was a huge bone with meat that sat in the center of the bowl which seemed promising; but the flavor was lacking.  It was a disappointing soup.  Walter makes terrific posole and that's what I'm sticking by from now on!
Overall, we had a fun time and enjoyed the food.  I want to go back soon and try more!

Carpe also suggested La Morena in Ridgeland which looks like is going to be the lunch destination for me on Friday.

2 comments:

Melia said...

Yes, try La Morena! I had a better meal at Guanajuato's previous location; the chicken taco I had at the new location was pretty good but definitely not as good as La Morena's.

That said, I'm just glad to have any authentic Mexican food in Jackson.

neola said...

IMO, La Morena has the best tacos al pastor in town!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...