17 May 2010

The Culinary Trail Launch

Just when I thought things might slow down - ha! - there's no sign of that happening anytime soon.  I've got so many blog posts that need to be written up, it's just ridiculous at this point.

Last Monday was the official press day for both the Culinary Trail and the Agri-Tourism Trail.  It went really well.  The Governor showed up and talked about the oil spill, how much we Mississippians love our food and how important Agri-Tourism and the Culinary Trail showcase two great aspects of our state's culture.

The unveiling took place at the Farmer's Market on High Street (in Jackson).
Ward Emling talking to Ole Miss' Andy Harper
John T. Edge and Sarah McCullough
Gov. Haley Barbour has arrived
Director of Tourism Mary Beth Wilkerson
Gov. Barbour and Leutinant Gov. Phil Bryant both spoke

About to officially unveil the Trails

It was great to finally meet John T. Edge, who provided me with insight and direction during the the Trail's beginning stages over 10 months ago now.
Such a nice guy!

Tom Ramsey, Malcolm White and John T. Edge

John T., Ward Emling (Director of the Film Office) and Sarah McCullough (Manager of Culture & Heritage), both of whom are my supervisors at Tourism, were invited to appear on Tom Ramsey's WLEZ 100.1 FM show "AtThe Cook's Table." The show is broadcast every Monday at noon.  Tom, whose wife, Kitty, is a friend of mine, is a tremendous cook and he invites people on his show for tête à tête and food.  It's so much fun!
I tagged along to take a few pictures and John T. also encouraged me to be a part of it, saying he wasn't exactly sure why they wanted him when I was the one who wrote the Culinary Trail!  But I ain't John T. Edge...!!  He was too nice.

Tom cooked short ribs, a white vegetable mash and cochon grits - DIVINE!  It was absolutely delicious.  For dessert, key lime pie.  I thought of my mother because it's her absolute favorite.  Oh my gosh, it was heaven.

You can listen to the broadcast here.  It was so much fun!  I made a brief appearance at the end.

I must say two very big thank you's:  to Amy Evans Streeter for being a proof reader and providing support and encouragement.  A huge, monumental thank you also goes to Ginger Brook for her consistent support, proof reading, encouragement and suggestions.  Both of them are terrific artists and writers in their own right and I am so proud to work with both of them!

Now, it's Culinary wrap-up.  Over the next several months, I'll be going out into the communities for more interviews, photographs and foodways video documentation.  That's always fun and insightful.  I can't wait!

I am thrilled about another project coming my way that will be working the Choctaws in Philadelphia.  More info on that in the coming week - I am seriously excited!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...