21 May 2010

Cathead Vodka and Sugar's

Last night, Gluckstadt, Mississippi-based vodka company, Cathead Vodka, had a tasting at Congress Street Bar & Grill.
There has been much buzz about Cathead, as it is Mississippi's first legal distillery.  Makes me laugh every time.  But it's true!

They had a signature drink for everyone to try called the "Lazy Cat," which was made with Cathead vodka, pink lemonade and Lazy Magnolia Indian Summer beer.  It was really good!  They also offered free samples of straight vodka to try and it had a great taste to it, very smooth. 

They gave out koozies and stickers for everyone.   (The logo reminds me of a character in Where the Wild Things Are)
While there, we decided to share an appetizer and got the pulled pork nachos.  I was expecting something similar to the ones Corky's sells at the Redbirds games in Memphis (which is nacho cheese, pork and barbecue sauce over corn chips).  These were more upscale and were scarfed down quickly.  I really enjoyed the tangy sauce, tender pork, sauteed onions and jalapenos and melted cheese.  The main surprise was the "chip" which really wasn't what you would consider a real chip at all.  More like triangular sopapilla-type crispy wedge.  Delicious!

Now, this morning, was breakfast at Sugar's.  I have heard mention of Sugar's Place located 168 W. Griffith Street downtown, but haven't ever been.  It seemed high time to make a visit in the name of Culinary Trail research, naturally! They want to be added to the trail, so I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone.

A group of us decided to meet there at 8 a.m., having convinced ourselves that getting out of bed at an earlier time was worth it for a good breakfast. 

Ah, the best laid plans.  A couple of us overslept (me included), two others couldn't come after all and that left one person there...on time...and waiting.  Awww!  Poor thing!  I felt so bad.  So I threw some clothes on and ran up there.
The restaurant celebrated its 2nd anniversary on Wednesday (May 19).  It's right across from Mississippi College of Law, in the bottom of a high-rise building.
You'll have to forgive me for the lack of breakfast pictures.  I got to chatting and dug in.  They have a choice of breakfast plates that include eggs, grits (plain or cheese), sausage/bacon/smoked sausage and pancakes or biscuits.  You can also order a la carte items as well.
I got the pancakes, grits and smoked sausage. My friend got pancakes, bacon and eggs.  The pancakes are really big and fluffy yet we both thought they were just kind of plain. The smoked sausage I cut up and put in my cheese grits and really enjoyed that (although I prefer cooked grits rather than the instant kind).  Overall, it was a great experience - the lady who took our orders got our names and remembered them throughout our meal.  The coffee was good and strong (always a good thing in my book) and she made sure we were taken care of.  Everyone was super nice to us.

I heard their lunch is good - so will have to go back and try it at some point soon.

Have a great weekend everyone!  Do you have any big plans?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...