06 May 2010

Fan Mail

This is really great!  I got my first-ever piece of "fan mail."
May 1, 2010

Ms. Kline,

I thoroughly enjoyed "A Family Affair" in the May "Portico."  Your article is very interesting and very well written. 

However, I feel compelled to point out an error.  You wrote, "Mr. Lumpkin is the restaurant's namesake."  Wrong!  The restaurant is the namesake of Mr. Lumpkin. (over)  American Heritage Dictionary defines "namesake" as "one that is named after another."  Mr. Lumpkin is not named after the restaurant; therefore, he is not the namesake of the restaurant.  The restaurant is named "after" (for) him.

Best wishes for continuing success with your writing!

An old English teacher
Whoops. 

Don't you just love it?!  If I met her in person, I would squeeze her to pieces.

Since I don't know who she is, I can't thank her personally but I can give her a small thanks for the heads up on my grammatical error here.

This post is dedicated to my high school English teachers, Mrs. Stephenson and Mrs. Ray.  xoxoA

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...