10 April 2009

Supa Staah!

I'm currently participating in the I Thought It Was Just Me read a-long on Brene Brown's website. She's an incredible woman who has been researching shame and its affects on women and on our culture for close to 10 years now. Her story and blog amaze me!

So, for the 2nd read along post, she asked us to talk about one of our (potential) superpowers and the thing that acts like kryptonite to our superpower. Then she asked us to describe what we would wear and drive.

Posting this compels to repeat part of Marianne Williamson's poem:
And as we let our own light shine,
we unconsciously give other
people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear,
our presence automatically
liberates others.
That is my hope as I continue to write this here blogspace on the intrawebs.

Here's what I wrote in response to the "Superpower Challenge":

My Superpower:
Resilience against all those Jokers out there
that try to pull a woman down!
Can't do this: Let me show you I CAN!
Shouldn't do that: Let me show you I WILLl!
You're not good enough: Honey, I'll prove I AM!
I reserve the non-exclusive right
to prove you wrong in Perpetuity.
Says who? Says ME!
You better be ready to duke it out if you dial my name and number.

My Kryptonite:
Good ol' boys who think
women are only good for two things:
being a secretary and ... (you know);
competitive, critical, dispassionate people
who are insecure & hurting
and go out of their way
to bring you down and purposely hurt you.
The biggest chunk of Kryptonite
is when I have allowed myself to entertain
what they say and
begin to think maybe I'm really not good enough. :(
Boo Hiss!

My Outfit:
Eartha Kitt's/Julie Newmar's
plunging leather (or pleather) cat suit!
Reow!
Red nails,
Cole Haan Nike Air Black stiletto peep-toes
with rhinestones on the heels
and a black silk cape (tied with a red ribbon)
to flow beautifully behind me
as I run, jump and fly!
My hair stays perfectly coifed
at all times and
I don't even break a sweat.My SupaSetOWheels:
A 1963 1/2 cherry red Mercury Meteor with Chrome accents.
0-100 in 60 seconds.
You can hear it coming a mile away
and it's runnin' on a full tank of whoop ass!
Watch out!
Flames shoot out of the exhaust pipes,
it's got high tech aviation bells & whistles
as well as the latest sound system
to blast some tunes
during my supa-cool "foiled you again suckas" get away!!
License plate
#2Cool2BeForgotten

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Anna, I linked to you from Brene's site when I read your self-description. I can only infer from your license plate that you might be a bit of a Lucinda Williams fan?
I look forward to the read-along with you.

peace-

Grits-N-Soul said...

Welcome! Yes, I am a big Lucinda Williams fan...I see from your recent blog post you are too. :) Thanks for visiting and I look forward to delving into your blog! A woman after my own heart.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...