29 April 2009

Southland in the Springtime

Southland in the Springtime is one of my favorite songs by the Indigo Girls. It makes my heart swell for my home. The song is especially poignant right now during the heart of the spring season. The flowers are blooming, the bird chorus is outside singing, the earthy-smell at the sign of rain and these lovely, perfect-weather days full of sunshine.

Everywhere I go there is a thick, delicious, flowery scent on the breeze. Whether I'm driving down the highway with my windows rolled down, making my way into work or walking down the sidewalk and through our screen door.

{Does it happen every year? Why haven't I noticed before? Am I more present this time around? Well, thank God for that!}

Earlier in the month when QB and I went walking around the neighborhood, the wisteria was hanging off of every tree branch each turn we took. I had to breathe it in. We put our noses in the air and started sniffin'.

There is some sort of flowering shrub nestled in among the trees and bushes that is currently blooming everywhere. Not sure what it is, but its scent is pure yummy goodness. And I don't use that term unless it's absolutely necessary!

QB is currently out on the porch reading. I'm going to brave the mosquitos and join him. Hold his hand. Sniff up the air. Enjoy being in love.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I love the Indigo Girls + I love wisteria! Too bad it makes me sneeze, though...

Unknown said...

I was doing a quick search for the lyrics and this blog came up so I thought I'd make a comment (I hope that's not creepy.). I loved what you wrote and couldn't agree more. I just spent a year abroad and came back to a Virginia in full bloom with the smell of honeysuckles everywhere. As I drove home through the Valley, the sun was just setting around that intense Southern "greeness"; it was orgasmic. God I love the Indigo Girls!

Grits-N-Soul said...

Emily - I can't believe Wisteria makes you sneeze! It IS a pretty strong scent.

Hi Liz, it's not creepy at all - I'm glad you said something. I've been an Indigo Girls fan, well, since the 9th grade! Haven't heard too much of their more recent work but my sister says their current album is fantastic...and they are on tour right now & I missed them in Memphis.

Oooooo. Honeysuckle. Nothing beats it! Right now the magnolias are blooming and a few other things I can't quite identify - it's so awesome.

What a great afternoon drive! How gorgeous. I've really wanted to spend some time in that area of NC and Virginia...that's one of my "to-do's."

Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...