04 April 2009

Crossroads Film Festival

This weekend is the 10th Anniversary Crossroads Film Festival, April 2 - 5.

Last year I was the Coordinator, so I didn't get to really enjoy the festival as a movie fan. Don't get me wrong - I loved being the Coordinator and participating in a Music in Film workshop panel - with film producer Orian Williams, no less!

However, this year, I decided to be involved on the committee as one of the Hospitality Coordinators. My work was done last week, after the last guest bag was stuffed with goodies. And, now I get to be a spectator - at least more so than last year, since I do keep getting roped into helping when people see my face! That's ok with me. I like being able to help out and miss "the action" a little.

Last night I saw Medicine for Melancholy, which was directed by Barry Jenkins. It was well shot and looked incredible. The story, to me, was a little on the slow side sometimes and not exactly well-developed - but that also, was sort of the point of "a day in the life" kind of story. The actors did a great job. It was set in San Francisco so it was fun for me to see if I could recognize any areas that we visited during our trip in December.

Today are two workshops with the Memphis chapter of NARAS. It's a collaboration that I helped get into motion with my friends at the Grammy office. I volunteered with them for several years while I was a Music Business student at the University of Memphis. NARAS is stretching their outreach into Mississippi, which is very exciting. Great to be involved with that!

Tonight, I'm especially excited about Prom Night in Mississippi. This film has gotten quite a bit of buzz all across the U.S. and at every festival it has premiered.

Excerpt from NPR:

Mississippi integrated its public schools in 1970, but segregation still haunts parts of the culture. One example of this could be found at Charleston High School. The Delta town had maintained a system of separate proms — organized privately — for black and white students.

As far back as 1997, actor Morgan Freeman, a Charleston local, offered to pay for the dance if everyone could go. This year, officials finally accepted the offer. A Canadian film crew led by Paul Saltzman documented the event for the upcoming Prom Night in Mississippi.

The past festival Coordinator, Thabi Moyo, has a producer credit on this film and she recruited me to help with music research. I found and compiled local music that would fit the film's sound design. So, it's an exciting night for everyone as the director, Paul Salzman, is here to introduce it, along with other local cast and crew members. It's exciting for me because it is my first film credit!

Thabi mentioned last night at the Shimmel's reception that they will need PAs for another similar film that Paul is doing and I told her to put me on the list!

I'm also very excited to be handing out my new business cards during the festival! Things are moving along quite nicely!
Click on the picture and it goes straight to my website. Have I mentioned how excited I am?! We're almost done with the content, so please come back in the next couple of weeks!

There are going to be a lot of new developments in the next few months and I can't wait.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...