01 March 2010

Serious Breakfast.

Walter (QB) has been to Memphis but I was able to take him around my old stomping grounds. My Mom was with us and we had lunch at Huey's (a side of onion rings were a must, of course) then walked across the street to Shangri-La Record store and found quite a few goodies. Mmmhmm!  

Then we drove around town, showed him a few sites.  I also forgot my camera that day. Whoops.

Saturday, we began with an early morning because it was imperative Walter experience the revelation that is Brother Junipers College Inn. The most incredible breakfast experience in town.  I've been eating there ever since I began college at the University of Memphis - me and everyone else in town - and I don't remember how the love affair began.  Seems to me a class was canceled and a classmate suggested breakfast there...does it really even matter?


From what I understand, it is owned by a Greek Orthodox family.  They make their own baked goods (they began an apprenticeship program for bakers, too) and have some of the best. omelets. ever.  And potato dishes.  And eggs served with cream cheese, dill and salmon.  

Everything I've tried is good which I can't say that about a lot of restaurants.  Their menu is here. I dare you!


This is one of the most popular breakfast spots in town, i.e. we got there at straight up 9 a.m. and had about a 30 minute wait.  The restaurant used to only be 2 rooms with a coffee bar and the line would be out the door by 9 or 10 am.  They have since expanded into what used to be the shop next door, closing up the old entrance and making it a window.  The new expanded space is brightly colored with local art hanging on the walls, a nice coffee bar with bar stools, a long community table in back of that, seats for waiting patrons and the cash register by the door.  The additional space was something they needed and good for people watching.  

Walter and I got a spot at the bar and received two cups of hot, strong coffee.  Hit the spot!  At one point I looked up and spotted filmmaker and Memphis champion, Craig Brewer, having lunch with his son and some friends.  I had to tell him that I was having a quiet breakfast and although I understand gushing over me and all, please don't make a scene.


What?  Oh.  And the Scooby Doo ending is...

My undercover skills came in handy while I "curiously fiddled" with my camera and discretely got a shot.  (I am so not subtle in real life, but this time it went my way)  He's the guy in the hat. 



At last, we got a table at the old coffee bar and combed the menu to see what we were going to devour!

 Does it make you think of the Canadian show on Nickelodeon, too?

I decided to go with the special, French toast with strawberry crème fraîche.   Pretty straight forward and delicious!  No syrup needed here, thanks anyway.  It came with a side of garlic cheese grits (gorjus, take note) and bacon.  Speaks for itself - and keep the Community coffee comin'.

Walter got "Mom's Lil Special," an open-face omelet with mushrooms, spinach, fresh smoked salmon, roasted red peppers and some home fries located underneath the mound of divine goodness.  Man, that was good.  We were supposed to share (umm...halvsies!) but you can guess what did and did not occur.  Funny how when the food actually arrives and all bets are off.




After we'd gotten our fill, talked to our coffee bar neighbors a little and scraped our plates, it was time to get some fresh air.


Walter wanted to see the Shell, so we went to Audubon Park and walked off - let's be realistic - only about 1/32 of our breakfast.  Brrr!  It was cold but sunny outside and the lap around the lake was nice.

 
We noticed a very interesting, huge tree. 

We headed back to Hernando for a little while and later we went Downtown for some serious barbecue. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...