05 March 2010

GritsNSoul Confessionals Continue...

It's been great because a friend of mine works Downtown and just recently we've realized that.  We've been so glad to have each other as an available lunch buddy!  So, on a cold, windy day like we had earlier this week, Southern comfort food was in order.

Maybe because it's spring and it is time to figuratively shed my skin.  Maybe because when living in denial one can never truly move forward. 
GritsNSoul Confessional of the Day: 

I ate lunch at Two Sisters Kitchen for the first time on Tuesday.  (I know, I know!)
(exterior pictures taken Summer '09 when it was sunny and green)

So now that it's off my chest, the next admission is that it was an affair to remember. 
Two Sisters is located in a large, old two-story former residence on Congress Street next door to the Welty Commons (aka the site where of the home where author Eudora Welty was born, turned cool art/music/community space complete with coffee shop).
It's got an almost kitschy feel to it but not surprisingly, very homey.  (I have a soft spot for old houses as it is.) When you enter through the front porch door, especially on a chilly day like we did, greeted with the site of a buffet, well, that's comfort food at its peak.  

Honestly, it's hard to remember what all was there but you can see from my plate below the smattering of everything I got.  What's fun is there is seating upstairs and downstairs.  You grab a plate, fill 'er up and find your table.  Ours was "upstairs, second door to the right."  It was a little confusing because I didn't want to sit in the wrong place.  I found the room and even the lady upstairs was a little confused where we should set up camp for lunch.  They have a speaker system to talk back and forth with, thank goodness.  Everything got cleared up, I sat down and ordered my sweet tea, then went downstairs and readied my plate like so:

Now about that fried chicken:  I spoke to owner Diane Alford several months ago when I stopped by to take photos for Culinary Trail-related things.  She told me that Cat Cora had nominated her as the best fried chicken she ever had for the Food Network Show "Best Thing I Ever Ate."  Don't know what happened with that, but nevertheless, I can second that emotion.
The mac and cheese was a little on the dry side but the crispy fried okra made me very happy!  And the black eyed peas, turnip greens and yams hit the spot.  We had a fun lunch.
And the sweet tea? 
It got a 3 to 4...overall pretty good but not as good as Catfish Country.

p.s. 
thank you, Neola, for the use of your camera!!

p.p.s. 
Neola says they ain't no chicken like Mr. D's fried chicken at the Old Country Store in Lorman.  
I've heard about this place a few times before and it warrants a road trip.  Very. Soon. 

p.p.p.s.  
Any place that has fabulous fried chicken has probably got a level 4 or 5 sweet tea.
I'm absolutely sure of it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...