02 March 2010

Special Bulletin!


Mississippi is really the only place where when you order tea, iced tea, it will arrive at the table in its most precious form (at least in these parts):  Sweet.  From what I've gathered, the phenomenon occurs the majority of time, only in Mississippi.  We have an enormous sweet tooth here and it's not just a summertime drink - it's an all-the-time, every occasion sort of beverage.  

For me personally, most places usually make their tea a little too sweet so I usually ask for 1/2 (sweet) and 1/2 (unsweet) with lemon.  The type of tea that I enjoy most is  strong - I want to taste it.  Not a fan of watery tea. And I like a subtle sweetness. Top it off with a lemon and it's a go.


For the Culinary Trail project, I put together a food glossary explaining the love affair Mississippians have for certain food items like hot tamales, fried pickles and cheese straws.  There is also an explanation about running across "greens" on a menu and what that means as well as the difference between home cooking and soul food. 

Sweet tea is on the list, too.

Last week my publisher at Portico asked me where to find the best sweet tea.  I was officially stumped

And, in my embarrassment, I may have changed the subject quickly at that point. 

Now, I have a mission.  
My mission is to find the best sweet tea in the state. 

Without further ado, I would like to unveil my creation: 

The "Sweet Tea-O-Meter™"
(photo taken from Mr. Wonderful's)

It's a handy rating system to judge and appreciate sweet tea at the restaurants you visit. 
Because it's important. 

Because we need to know.

Because it's your civic duty.

With the Sweet Tea-O-Meter™ there's nothing to buy, here, folks. It's a 1 to 5 rating system that is completely subjective to your tastebuds and fun to put into practice during your mealtime extravaganza. 

My patented rating system is as follows:

1 - You call this sweet?
(you should be ashamed)

2 - This'll Pass
(but I'm still disappointed in you)

3 - Just Right!

4 - Cuts Like a Knife
(ouch)

5 - Jaw Cringing...
(diabetic coma)

For sweet tea heads, whose lives are lived according to the merits of sweet tea, it is imparative to share your rating with those who appreciate your discoveries.

Ok, here's what I've got so far:

Huey's Midtown (Memphis - and Memphis counts, not because of personal bias but  because it's right on the line and they maintain a lot of our food traditions): 4-5

My Parent's House (Hernando):  3

Rendezvous (Memphis):  This was tricky.  I would have given it a 4 or 5 but as the meal wore on and all the flavors competed for attention, it went down to a 3. 

Catfish Country (Hernando):  3!!!!!  It was perfect.  The tea was strong and the sweet was oh so subtle.  Ahhhh!

What about YOU? 
Where was the best sweet tea you've ever had? 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...