13 October 2009

Mother-in-Law

The itineraries for the Delta Culinary Trail are being proofed by talented and informed minds as we speak. They will read my SFD and send it back with red marks and hopefully a pat on the back. The next step is to come up with a brief glossary of food terms for those not acquainted with Southern, more specifically, Mississippi food stuffs. My body feels similarly to what I might imagine patients with Post Traumatic Stress symptoms might experience in the aftermath of a major event. I mean that with unconditional love for this project, naturally. The most important thing is, is I DID IT and I’m proud of myself because it was the biggest writing project (in my life) to date. It is also one that is close to my heart, after all: A labor of love for Mississippi food and cultural heritage. After eking out close to 20,000 words culled from research material, interviews and travels, a tourism experience was birthed from tales of Mississippi history, folklore, tradition and personal experience. I have to admit my system feels shaky after such a purge. Overall, I am proud and it was a terrific experience. Only four more regions to go!

Now, to the real point of this post: Last night QB and I made the famous Chicago “Mother-in-Law” sandwich. For those not familiar with the Mother-in-Law sandwich or the Mississippi Delta tradition of the “hot tamale,” allow me a minute to share the tale.

The Delta hot tamale’s origins began around the turn of the 20th century when migrant Hispanic laborers worked in the fields during fall cotton-picking season along with the African-American hired hands. The cornmeal mixture encased the tamale and kept it insulated. This ensured a warm lunch instead cold food by the lunchtime hour arrived.

Before the migrant workers went back to Texas, the recipe was given to black friends who adapted the meat and spices to suit their taste. They are “hot tamales” by locals because of their spicy flavor and the orangey-red color they become from the seasoned water in which they are boiled, not steamed like their Mexican counterparts. Hot tamales traditionally come in a string-tied bundle of three individually wrapped in either a corn husk or parchment paper. Mississippians normally spread their tamale on a cracker and crumble up the crackers in tamale juice for good eatin’.

* * * * *

The Great Migration began in the early 20th century as African-Americans moved to the urban North seeking for relief from racial discrimination, and holding on to the hope of better employment opportunities. During the 1930s and 1940s, Chicago witnessed the largest flux of this migration and it was during this time that the enormous influence upon every aspect of cultural life was altered by the Southern sensibilities, most notably music and cuisine. An example of Mississippi traditions that hopped the Mason-Dixon Line is the Mother-in-Law sandwich: a tamale in a hotdog bun smothered with chili, peppers and onions, or the tamale sundae, a tamale in a bowl of chili.

So there you have it.

We went to the store with another supper option in mind, until he mentioned wanting to get the fixins for a Mother-in-Law. I said, “That sounds good. Let’s do it tonight!” So we picked up the chili, hotdog buns and cheddar cheese.

The next stop was Tony’s Tamales on Woodrow Wilson, an old fast food joint turned “tamale central.” We placed our order, 1 dozen hot and ½ dozen mild, at the drive-thru and circled around to the pick-up window. When hungry, we tend to go overboard (but they made for a good lunch today) but that’s beside the point! I asked the gentleman at the window if they hand-rolled their tamales or used a machine. He replied they use a machine to make the tamales but put them in the corn shucks by hand. Sounds like a winner!

QB and I got home and got to work. You know it’s good when grease is seeping through to the bag…juss sayin’.




He heated up the chili and buns while I chopped onions.
Hot tamales on a hotdog bun and covered with chili. Trust me. It's GOOD!
I must admit my skepticism about an already "breaded" tamale surrounded by more bread. But the difference in taste and consistencies kept it from being an overwhelmingly bready experience. However, that's just my personal opinion and palate.
The finished product with cheese and green onions. Yes, it was messy.
Have lots of napkins at hand. I always need more than the average person as it is.



You'll have to excuse my liberal amount of sour cream. It seemed like such a good idea and it was! I should feel guilty but I don't...yet. The one thing we forgot was the peppers but that was alright because the tamales were spicy enough without them.


As for my real-life future mother-in-law, she is terrific, as are my other future in-laws! The trip to Dallas was fun and the bridal shower was lovely. I enjoyed seeing the Texas Star lighting up at dusk as we drove by on the interstate. I made a pact with myself that QB and I would go to the State Fair of Texas next year!

1 comment:

jacksongirl said...

Ok that looks delicious!! I see these in mine and the BF's future.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...