15 October 2009

Happy Birthday QB! From Me, with lots of love.

Today is QB's birthday!

His flight landed in California about an hour ago where he is attending and working a conference in Long Beach. I miss him already and am glad that he gets a terrific birthday present of enjoying the lovely Pacific Coast weather while we folks in Mississippi have a consistently rainy 75° and a sustained humidity level of ungodly proportions.

Did someone upstairs not get the memo? It's October 15!! Autumn, anyone?

Anyway, speaking of October 15th and my favorite person's birthday, we had a special, early birthday dinner at home a couple of nights ago. I bought a bottle of this incredible Pinot Noir – the name escapes me at the moment. For those in Jackson, it's at Kat's Wine and is the one they are upselling like the dickens, but it's tasty!


I made steamed veggies and Dressed Up Bacon Mac and Cheese. It was delicious and so rich.

I got excited because part of the recipe calls for a roux, mixed in with sautéed onion, bacon, bacon drippings and garlic, which is then mixed into the pasta and cheese mixture. Now, that was divine, dahlin'. The first and last time I made a roux was at Thanksgiving when I made a German potato salad out of the cookbook You Are Where You Eat (by Elsa Hahne, University Press of Mississippi), which has some delicious recipes. All that to say, the roux smelled so good and was the tipping point from regular mac and cheese to almost-make-you-sick-it's-so-good mac and cheese.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...