08 October 2009

150th Anniversary of the Mississippi State Fair

The countdown to the QB/AK wedding is in full swing with only 51 days to go! Wow.


We're so excited and I get a little misty-eyed just thinking about it. We still have a caterer and florist to book and will do that next week at the very latest.


My Mom and I will be burning up the asphalt this weekend on our way to Dallas for my bridal shower, hosted by QB's mother and close friend. I always love visiting his family and am a very lucky gal to have such terrific in-laws like them.


Another special event coming up is our engagement shoot on Monday. We absolutely love our photographer, Erin, a talented and super sweet lady to whom we given full creative license. I e-mailed her a few weeks ago and asked, "What do you think about having our engagement shoot at the state fair?" The idea thrilled her to no end and added to our pre-wedding giddiness.

This year marks the Mississippi State Fair's 150th Anniversary, of which I was unaware when we decided to take photos there. That makes it all the more special. I'm a Memphis/Mid-South Fair girl, which has sadly changed to a new location this year. Over the past five years, I've gone to the fair here in Jackson, which is a good bit smaller but definitely has its own I can't site specific details at the moment because my mind is clouded with the thought of the free Angel biscuits smothered with honey…


There have been several fair engagement shoots online and it seemed like the perfect time and such a fun thing to do. My only concern is the weather – just when I got excited about the cooler weather, it's going to be in the mid-80s today!! The humidity is already creating a hostile environment outside. My mother is a weather channel fanatic and I never check it (which is going to change in about 30 seconds).


The forecast for Monday is 76 degrees and partly cloudy. It's much cooler over the weekend. Why, oh, why can't it just be in the 50s or 60s? I hate to be shallow but it totally messes up my wardrobe plans for the shoot. Ah, here's some good news: the low is going to be 59, so I just might get my wish.


More to come on my trip to Indianola where I had the pleasure to meet the self-proclaimed "fastest bicycle rider in Indianola" during my ramblings on Church Street, and also my travels to the Cleveland-area food places.


Another exciting announcement: You're looking at the new monthly "Edibles" Writer for Portico Jackson Magazine! I've been writing arts and culture articles for them since July and am looking forward to writing about local food places. Yay!

3 comments:

jacksongirl said...

Congrats again on your column in Portico - and I cannot BELIEVE they moved the Mid-South fair out of Memphis?! For shame!! Glad I don't live up there anymore or else I'd have to go off on somebody!

Grits-N-Soul said...

It's sacrilege!!

Grits-N-Soul said...

Oh, and thank you! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...