22 September 2010

Go Rangers!

I'm not a sports person.  I won't watch it on TV.  It's kind of boring.

Our family was one of a Southern minority in that we did not grow up in a college or pro football allegiance house (Ok, so I watched the Saints win the Superbowl but that's different).  Truth be told, I could care less about football season.  Basketball.  Eh.  Don't care much about that either. 

Baseball?  Well, that's a different story.  The fun is in the live-action game.  Now that's where I get interested.  

I like hearing W's memories of going to see the Rangers play.  They'd take hot dogs, the prerequisite Dr. Pepper, sit on the grassy knoll and watch them win and lose.  Frankly, listening to W and his StepDad talk baseball is inspiring.  I had no idea there was that much that goes into the game - the whole science and particulars of it.  They also know their baseball history, too, throwing names around, batting averages and history-making plays, which is even more fascinating.

The Parents took us to a Sunday afternoon Rangers game at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.  It was my first pro game, although I'd been to the Memphis Chicks games and also when they turned into the AAA Redbirds.  W pointed out to me very early on, it's just not the same!  We had such a great time.  

The Rangers were playing the Boston Red Sox that day.  Pretty cool.  Teams I'd heard of! 
 
Below, another view of the stadium from our seats behind home plate.  Great job Mom & Dad Lee!  
They wetted down the dirt before the game began.

Initially, our seats were right in the blistering sun.  One of the volunteers told us the shade would hit us around 330p...seeing as it was an hour away, we moved up into the stands where the shade had already hit.  The stadium was beginning to fill up but it wasn't at full capacity because of the heat. 
 

The triple digit heat was stifling and our rear ends melted into the chairs.  Everyone were sweaty messes.  I can't imagine how miserable it must have been for the fellas in polyester uniforms on the ground...or for the vendors.  We were all in it together, that's for sure...If you're thinking what I'm thinking, then we're both glad the summer heat has turned a corner (even ever so slightly) into cooler autumn temps!

I will not be able to tell you a play by play or a who's who of this game.  I can tell you, there were balls, strike outs, home runs, plates stolen, 7th inning stretch and songs sung!  How's that?  
We had a great time watching the Rangers whip the Red Sox!
 
I'm glad I brought my super sonic zoom lens along - it helped get some good shots of the game and also served as binoculars, too.
 
Awww!  Someone proposed!
We also sang the Texas National Anthem...haha
It wasn't the highest scoring game but at least the Rangers played good defense.  Do I sound knowledgeable?
Somebody struck out.
 
 Gimme some Cotton Eye'd Joe!
Walter tells me this guy, Matzusaka, is a big deal pitcher.  Ok.  Cool.
This is what amazed me...how a human being can throw a ball so damn fast.
Rangers guy makin' it home.
 
During one of the pitches, a player swung and the bat broke in two.  Crazy!
 And...the moral of the story is...Rangers won!  
Wasn't that exciting??...thus the lightening bolts!
Yay!  We won!!  We're thrilled!  Now let's find some A/C pronto.
Afterwards, kids can wait the line that wraps around the stadium, to go run the bases just like the pros do.  I'm sure if you're a kid, the prospect would be unbeatable, even in that heat and kids probably think the adults are being wimps.  Yes and yes.
From the top of the stadium, you get a great view of what Dallas residents call "The Death Star" or rather, the brand-spanking new Cowboys stadium
Want to take a peek inside?  Open for VIP tours if you want to pay about $30 or the self-guided tour will be $12.  Seriously?  (Here's where I insert my ambivalence to football.)  And it really does look like a spaceship.

And, really, what's a terrific game day without finding ironic signage just for you, dear reader?

Get your hair done at Eunice's.  She's even got one of those new-fangled websites.  These days her hands are a bit shaky and she can't see real well, but she'll do a mighty fine job if you ain't too particular.  If you are, run next door for a little of what they call "damage control."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...