27 September 2010

Dallas Eats, Part 2

We got a couple of recommendations for eats 

A good friend mentioned a taqueria right across the street from Bolsa's where she loves getting the barbacoa tacos.  



We ordered two barbacoa and one al pastor.  We found a spot to sit on the bench on the side of the building to enjoy the "appetizer" part of our meal.

I'd never had barbacoa before - and if you haven't either, it's beef head meat.  It's not bad, but was a little too fatty of a consistency for my taste.  

Now gimme some al pastor (pork).  Whatever that meat had been marinated in, is the stuff that makes angels sing.  You'll notice we didn't take a picture until after we'd nearly eaten all of it.  I don't feel bad about that at all - and neither would you if you were there.
A friend recommended Bolsa's which was right across the street but after looking at the menu, I was in the mood for something a little less urban gourmet chic.  We thought, hey, we can get pizza and pulled pork sandwiches just about anywhere.  I think it would have been a great meal but when you've got your heart set on spicy and exotic meaty things, well, it's hard to talk your stomach into anything else.  (At least, that's how my food cravings work.  There's absolutely no compromise.)

Bolsa is in a really cool old garage and it's a great-looking restaurant.  Upstairs is a millinery shop - wish I'd gone in! 

So we walked across to the other side of the street to Gloria's.  Gloria's has been in Dallas for close to 40 years and is known for its El Salvadorian cuisine.  This ain't Mexican.  This is Gloria's.  Get ready.
We got to the table and at first it felt like we'd gotten a table at just any Mexican cantina. Just forgive the writer her ignorance in advance...
Our waiter brought fresh chips and salsa to the table along with a little bowl of refried black beans.  Yummo.  We also asked for some fresh guacamole, too.  Notice how the light shone through the window from the heavens above to perfectly to accent the food.

W filled me in on how El Salvadorian was different from "Mexican" food - more tomato-based sauces and such.  You can see how much sunk in before I got completely sidetracked.  He ordered a flank steak something or other and I got the ceviche tostada.  Just because I can't remember the name doesn't mean it wasn't good - it was (insert adjective here)!!!  Words don't do it justice.  It came with tortillas to make a meat sandwich - or perhaps a steak taco...

I foolishly wondered if my ceviche tostada was going to live up to my expectations.  The scallops were marinated in lime juice, cointreau and tossed with herbs.

I couldn't get enough.  This was tart, decadent, fresh, flavorful, unforgettable.

I can't even begin to tell you a. how incredible this meal was b. how I can't stop dreaming about it c. and even a month later, I can still almost taste it.  It was fabulous.  


Don't even mention the fact that we'd already had a little sompn'-sompn' across the street mere minutes ago.  I don't want to hear it.  

So, after the gorge-fest unforgettable lunch experience, we rolled wandered back through the Bishop Arts District to another favorite stop during the trip:  The Soda Gallery.
For Jacksonians who remember the Fondren Beverage Emporium, the Soda Gallery is the same concept but I will say that the FBE had a much larger selection of both sodas and vintage candies. 
Of course the store was as kitschy cool as can be.  I could have recovered hung out in there for hours!
In the back part of the store, they had pop art!  And you've gotta check out the bathroom.

This was the funnest bathroom experience ever. Soda labels covered the walls and the floor was the brightly painted pattern - oh, I can't remember who designed it but it was also an Apples in Stereo album cover as well (one of my favorites).
They had lists on the wall of what was new and what flavors were being retired: RIP!
After exploring the store we made our selections and I was also excited to buy a bag of bottle caps they sold to add to my collection from FBE!

And challenged each other to a mean game of Chinese checkers.   
He beat me.

2 comments:

Stacy Wills said...

you're making me hungry!!! what great pics and commentary. seeing the chinese checkerboard reminded me of playing countless games with my grandmother when i was a little girl. sweet memories...thank you!

Grits-N-Soul said...

Thanks, Stacy!

If I've ever played Chinese checkers before I don't remember it. When Walter and I play games, he beats me just about ever time. He grew up in a game family, so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...