09 April 2010

The Smell That Lingers

Realizing that a subject line like that could go one of two ways...and most people might expect it to turn in a negative direction...

It's won't. 

I mean the smell of barbeque on my clothes (not like, say, the stench a Chinese buffet that lingers in the weave of a cotton t-shirt and ends up making you feel sick). 
(picture from Jackson MetroMix)

Foolishly I didn't have my camera on me over lunch today when I ate at Lumpkins BBQ on Raymond Road.  Suffice it to say, man did that hit the spot!  Fried chicken, candied sweet potatoes, coleslaw - and beef brisket!  Heaven.  They have some kind of buffet-style spread and are adamant about customers only taking what they can eat.  It's a great price and is delicious.  They make sure the food is as fresh as they can get it without preservatives and unhealthy additives.

I ran into into friends on my way in:  Mr. Sneaky Beans himself, Byron Knight, singer-songwriter Taylor Hildebrand and songwriter & musician Valley Gordon who had all just finished lunch and raved about the catfish and coleslaw.  I was on a seriously mission, though, for fried chicken and sweet potatoes.

Just a few weeks ago, I interviewed Melvin and Monique Davis for Portico Mag, which will appear in the upcoming May issue (this month is The Mermaid Cafe).  They are such kind people and were so much fun to interview.

There are a couple of great Jackson food blogs for Jackson (and surrounding areas), if you don't already know about them:

Carpe Jackson - she's good at digging up major unheard of, out of the way places and everything in between.  The go-to place for new food in the area, too.

Eat Jxn - And as a matter of fact, Eat Jxn blogged recently about Lumpkins here.

And I just have to say...God Bless Deep Fried Kudzu, or rather the blog's proprietor, my friend, Ginger!  She has been so helpful to me, with proofing the Culinary Trail and offering suggestions and insight...and the newest level of awesomeness:  giving me some info on Southern Jewish cooking and how the two cuisines have fused over the years.  I can't wait to see what she has for me! (There is such a rich Jewish tradition in Mississippi - and the South)

Her husband publishes Southern Jewish Life Magazine - really cool!  Here's the Facebook Page.

And this is completely un-Food related. 
A friend recently gave me a heads up about this website: 
"Where DIY Meets WTF."
HA!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...