03 February 2010

memphis, mississippi remix

Over the weekend, I pulled out the script for my short film memphis, mississippi (yes, in lower case).

I previously mentioned that the DeSoto Arts Council awarded me a small grant to help finish my film. God Bless Brian Hicks and the DeSoto County Historical Foundation and Museum for their assistance with the grant!
A HUGE “Thank You!!” goes to them.

It was an exciting moment getting the grant, because I began to think, will this thing EVER be completed?! The answer is YES! If you could only see the grin that I can’t wipe off my face.

Click on the following link to snoop around the film’s MySpace Page, which includes a synopsis, production pictures, blog posts and more pictures. You can also read what I wrote a long while back when we were about to wrap production.  What a time - and oh, how far we've come!
As I was saying, the script was pulled out of my film box, a little yellowed but intact (it's only been since 2007, but I've moved a couple of times since then). It’s going to accompany me as I watch the DVDs of footage, make lists upon lists of the scenes and snippets I want to use for the new and final cut.

When we first shot it, it was a straight-forward narrative and now, in hindsight the dialogue doesn’t hold up so well (as is often the case) and I’d like to infuse it with more Southern Gothic edge and experimental details.
So, once the film is complete, I’ll be donating a finished copy to the museum along with footage of the town of Hernando and DeSoto County and a slew of production pictures that capture the area during a time of transition and growth. There will also be a community premiere, Q&A with cast and crew (only 5 of us), a speaker or two, film workshop(s) and a music showcase (I'm excited about that part).   A date still needs to be set and confirmed for the dedication and event.

So that’s what I’ve got planned or, rather, to plan.

Needless to say, there’s a lot to do!

2 comments:

Thomas Beck said...

I'd love to see this! If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

Grits-N-Soul said...

Thanks, Tom! I'm looking forward to seeing it myself...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...