13 August 2010

Happy Nanih Waiya Day!

Halito! (Hello in Choctaw, pronounced "huh-lee-toe")

Today is the 3rd anniversary of the acquisition of Nanih Waiya (Na-nee Why-uh) from the state of Mississippi, Choctaw's oldest mound and also the nearby mound that is the tribe's point of origin.  I've blogged before about visiting the Mother Mound and cave.  Wish I could be there today but a rip-roaring sinus infection needs my attention.  (Ho hum...)

During my most recent visit last week, I spoke with several people at the Institute of Chahta Immi (or Choctaw Learning) about learning the traditional Choctaw language and spoke to a talented and smart young man who is helping put together a comprehensive dictionary of their language from the three dictionaries written in the 1800s.  What an exciting project!  They are expecting it to be published in 2012.  I would love to learn the Choctaw language.

Speaking of the Fair, I spent an afternoon wandering around with my close friends Heat & Humidity.  Good grief, it was bad that day!  I felt bad for the folks in traditional dress that danced and danced - they must have been miserable.  But they did such a great job.  

This is the story acted out about how the possum got his funny-looking tail.  
Kids in the audience were asked to help out.  It was really cute.
 The Raccoon played a trick on Possum and he set fire to his tail.

Young ladies line up before the dance begins.

Parents and Grandparents teach their children the Choctaw language and instill traditions in the home.  They have very small children taking part in all the traditional dances as well.  
 If I remember correctly, this was a wedding dance.
 Below is some video I took with my phone - I believe this was the Raccoon dance.  It was fun to watch as they played chase during the dance.

I was very excited about eating traditional foods.  When I spotted the Choctaw Kitchen, I knew I'd hit the mother lode.
 Fry bread drizzled in honey.  This is so good.
 Hominy which was cooked with a little chicken 
- it is seasoned simply with salt and pepper. Good!
And the food item I was most excited about:  Banaha.  Oddly enough, it is cooked similar to a hot tamale:  boiled in a corn husk.  I really want to do some food research on that!  The one I had was kind of dry but good - made with all proteins cornmeal and black-eyed peas. 
Banaha is not heavily seasoned like tamales are, but I bet would be some kind of delicious if it was.  It's a heavy protein meal, which is explained here, that sustained farm laborers.
I have learned so much from my research work with the Choctaw tribe, which, truth be told, merely scratches the surface of all the incredible aspects of their lives and culture.  It's been a rewarding experience for me.  I hope that if you ever get a chance, you can go visit the reservation to either attend the Choctaw Indian Fair or the Choctaw Heritage museum

We'll be heading to Dallas soon.  Both of us are stoked about a change of scenery.



Hope you have a terrific Friday and a restful weekend!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...