16 August 2010

City Murals

Or town murals, depending on your point of view.


Hope you are having a good Monday.  We are having a great time in Dallas right now - I have so much to share with you from our trip!  But first...


Changing the topic back to Mississippi:  when we were in Grenada for Mother's Day, I was drawn to the lovely murals on the sides of Downtown buildings.  What amazes me is both the scale and the skill!  Murals are definitely eye catchers and I have to get a closer look whenever I run across them (I've been taking pictures of them in Dallas, too.)


Murals are such a colorful and meaningful way to personalize a city or  community.  They give the area new life and share a bit of personality with outsiders.  It always makes me feel like I'll be amongst kindred spirits!
Nearby were more murals, located across the street from Orleans Bistro on Main Street that included old town scenes and businesses.
Another view:
And, below, during my recent trip to the "Fair City" of Philadelphia.  Right now I'm realizing perhaps it would have been a good idea to do a little research and find out who painted these lovely pieces...ah, hindsight!  (I'll ask and report back!  Promise!)
My sister lives in Pine Bluff, Arkansas and the Downtown area is a veritable ghost town - what a shame!  Walter and I explored the streets and came across some terrific murals that depicted scenes and people of historical significance for the town.
Arkansas has some major Delta areas, too, and below is the man who invented the mechanical cotton picker.
A Closer look at what the wall says:
Here are some other historical figures.  Not every wall explained who they were but it's something worth looking up and discovering why they were chosen to be immortalized on the buildings (at least, it is to me...and no, haven't done that yet).  The lady on the left looked like she was an early doctor. 
I liked this mural a lot.  These two men below are apparently part of movie history.
Here's a closer look at their names and the faces
A mural for the early 20th century car club...
what a novelty cars are! 
And on the building in the same park is another mural of old Pine Bluff.  These murals were commissioned and done in 1992.  It would be great if another revitalization could happen there.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...