11 April 2012

Wednesday's Walkabout

In a few weeks, I'm going to transition this blog to a new home; but in the meantime, if you haven't looked at Deep Fried Kudzu blog in a while, wander over that way and read the article my friend, Ginger, posted about a new flavor of Mississippi's first (legal) distillery (ha!) Cathead Vodka.  Can't wait for that!

Man, I sure do have my days when I pine for Mississippi something fierce. Though, the excitement I have at the prospect of all the new discoveries here in Asheville.

This week, I'm (thankfully) working a temp job in a town about 40 minutes south of Asheville called Flat Rock.  Yesterday over my lunch break, I got to go into town on a work errand - and it's so pretty here!  Truth be told, I have yet to see "ugly" around here anywhere...

I can't wait to come back up here and explore.  The town was established in 1807 and it looks like there are quite a few old homes.  Flat Rock is mostly known for being the home of poet Carl Sandburg.  (I didn't realize that he was also a biographer, folksinger and lecturer.)  His wife is known to have bred championship (yes!) goats at their Connemara Farms and operated a diary.  Now the park service raises the goats.  I have heard it said that it is a matter of pride around here if you own a goat from their breed line.  Who knew?!
Carl Sandburg and his wife, Paula.  Image from Sandburg website.
 I absolutely love a quote of his on the website: 
"It is necessary now and then for a man to go away by himself and experience loneliness; to sit on a rock in the forest and to ask of himself, 'Who am I, and where have I been, and where am I going?'...If one is not careful, one allows diversions to take up one's time - the stuff of life"  
-Carl Sandburg as quoted from a letter to his friend, Ralph McGill.
Today, I want to grab lunch at Flat Rock Village Bakery that's housed inside a shop called The Wrinkled Egg.  The Wrinkled Egg is a shop that has folk art, gifts and also puts together custom care packages for kids who go away to summer camp.  Isn't that the cutest?  I may have to send my favorite girls a little something soon!

Can't wait to see what they've got in the bakery!  Any place that has hot cross buns that look like this is ok in my book. My mouth is watering... 
Picture from the Flat Rock Bakery website
Have a great Wednesday :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...