21 June 2010

Sea Camp!

This past Wednesday I made my way down to the Coast to visit University of Southern Mississippi's Gulf Coast Research Laboratory in Ocean Springs.  

The GCRL is in a new location post-Katrina and is directly on the water.  It's such a gorgeous place! (I would love to live there)

I'm writing a story on USM's Sea Camp, which is a summer day camp program all about marine science for kids ages 6 - 13.  Campers get hands-on experience in both the classroom and on field trips into the surrounding saltmarshes, beaches and Barrier Islands (Deer and Ship Islands).

Oil Spill Curriculum was incorporated this summer to objectively educate the kids on what was going on with this oil debacle.  Being down there, seeing all this, really drives home what is happening.


The camp let me be a fly on the wall and follow a few different age groups out into the field, which was a blast.  

In the morning, I accompanied the younger kids when they went out in the boat.  They could barely contain their excitement as we left the dock and headed out onto the water.
They took the kids out a ways to a good fishing spot.  One of the counselors threw the anchor in the water.  The other counselors put bait (shrimp) on the hook and cast the line for the campers.  It didn't take too long before they caught something!
one group caught a blue crab
Several caught "Croakers" and were dared to kiss their fish on the lips for good luck!
The fish were all thrown back into the water once the kids got a good look at it and were able to touch it.  Once the fishing wound down a bit, we spotted some dolphins swimming nearby!
You'll notice the man in the boat (right top of photo) motoring along by us.  He was out crabbing and threw a few fish to the dolphins.  The dolphins were overjoyed at their luck and went nuts jumping and splashing around.
One came came right up next to the boat!
I talked with several of the kids during our fishing trip.  Some were budding marine biologists, others just loved coming out there to learn about the area's marine life.  Many had been there a few summers in a row already.

They learn so much in their interactive classroom lessons combined with the excursions on the water and interactions with the marine animals in GCRL's aquarium.  I was so jealous that I was not 9 years old, too!

They asked me if there was such thing as a poisonous snake.  Yes, I said.  No, they said.  It's not poisonous, it's venomous!  They filled me in on everything they've been learning and their genuine excitement was quite inspiring.



We didn't have enough time to go to Deer Island (they went after lunch) so after fishing we went on a tour of the surrounding bayou. 

We saw an eagle, too!  The picture I got is just a speck in a treetop...third tree from the left.
After lunch, I tagged along with the 12-13 year old campers and went kayaking through the saltmarshes.  


Initially I was nervous because when you think of a kayak, you get visions of a one person gig which has always seemed intimidating to me.  This set-up was a two-person kayak (I so want one now) and was a lot of fun!
It's so beautiful there.
 This is a wild Muscadine bush...thoughts of jelly and wine filled my head...
Sea Camp Director, Michael Carley, led the group and would stop every so often to quiz the kids on what they've learned and teach them something new.  The marsh grasses can't absorb or use the salt that is in the water so it excretes it. If you run your fingers up a blade of grass and lick your finger, it's salty!
A couple of people spotted an alligator but I never saw it.  I was simultaneously glad and disappointed that I didn't see the scary critter.


We had to go under a small bridge which might make someone who is claustrophobic very nervous.  I'm not claustrophobic but still thought Uh oh.  We leaned back and went under.  It ended up being fun and welcome shade from the heat.
Below was my last picture during the row back.  We were rowing against the current and a North wind so I had to finally put my camera down and get to work.  Feel the muscle burn!
What a great day!  

Speaking of burn, the kayaking trip was the scene of the crime for the unfortunate sunburn incident. (I put sunblock on every part of my body except my legs not realizing I'd be sitting with my legs outstretched like that ...)

Before...(I'm so darn white)
After...(and this was two days after and still bright red - it was bad)

Sea Camp was funner than fun! (not the sunburn but the experience, of course)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, that looks amazing! The water rippling, all the nature. I bet the kids had so much fun. I would have, too!

Grits-N-Soul said...

It really was fun and they are considering having a camp for adults sometime in the future. Here's to hoping because I want to go back as a camper.

jacksongirl said...

I want to go to Sea Camp! Let me know if they decide to do the grown-up version!

BTW, I spent a summer living/working on the coast during college, and it really is a neat, magical place. I'd love to have a little cottage there for getaways.

Grits-N-Soul said...

It *is* a magical place. I lost all sense of time being near the water.

Oh my gosh, that would be awesome to go in with some friends and have a place there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...