24 January 2010

Yum

One thing husband and I love to do on the weekends is cook breakfast together.  I love breakfast and brunch foods.  It is my favorite!

There's nothing better than biscuits!  QB and I made this breakfast right after we got married (which for some reason feels like it was ages ago, but we're still brand- spanking new and only 2 months out of the gate) and I was proud of how my first real attempt at buttermilk biscuits turned out - you know, as opposed to using Bisquick!

One thing we're trying to do is cook more at home, which gives you more control of what goes in your body and in your food.  


This particular dish is courtesy of my Dad.  It was a Sunday morning breakfast food that became one of those happy comfort food recipes from childhood.  Most likely it came from the farm because it definitely sticks to your ribs.



Then I made the meat gravy ... I can't remember if this was turkey or ground beef (looks like ground beef), but we try to use turkey as often as possible - or you can use just about anything like chipped beef, etc.  I also threw some onions and mushrooms in the mix for added "yum" factor.  Then you make a milk gravy (with a little flour) and add the cooked meat mixture as it has thickened some and let that simmer until thickened some more.


 
 
The biscuits get topped with with meat gravy.  We always add some fruit for good measure, too.  Looks like we had some mimosas with leftover wedding champagne!


Here are some biscuits I'm going to have to try.  Cheddar?  Check!  Cracked Pepper?  Check!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...